English - Writing
Our English curriculum combines the National Curriculum with our whole-school termly topics.
Language underpins the whole curriculum. Effective writing comes from access to a wide and enriched language curriculum encompassing reading, writing and speaking and listening. Children are able to express themselves creatively and imaginatively and gain an understanding of how language works by looking at its patterns, structures and origins. The ability to write fluently enables children to succeed in primary school and means that they continue to thrive and are ready to achieve in secondary school.
- For children to see themselves as successful writers and have a real love of writing.
- Encourage a wide vocabulary and a thorough understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for writing, appropriate for the text type and year group.
- Provide purposeful writing experiences and create opportunities for writing across all areas of the curriculum.
- To give opportunities for children to reflect on their own writing and the writing of others.
- To develop children’s ability to plan, draft, organise, structure and edit their own writing in a variety of ways.