Welcome to Year 6
6P Oak 6Pa Chestnut
Miss Perkins and Mrs Packham
This page will provide some brief information about Year 6, including staffing, routines, the Year 6 curriculum and some additional links to helpful resources.
Any questions? Please do not hesitate to contact a member of the Year 6 team via the school office email or telephone.
Please make sure you have downloaded our school app to receive important updates.
Example of SATS-style questions:
- Arithmetic and Arithmetic Answers
- Maths Reasoning 1 (with answers)
- Maths Reasoning 2 (with answers)
- Reading Booklet, Reading Paper and Reading Answers
Spring Term 2024
This term, Year 6’s topic will be 'Africa is not a country!', with a focus on human and physical geographical features. The host subject will be Georgraphy along with English but we will also be incorporating History, DT and Art.
- Friday 26th January 2024 (TBC): Light Workshop - visit to York Theatre Royal - more info to follow
- Friday 9th February 2024: Friends Dare2Be Different Day - more info to follow
- Friday 9th February 2024: Break up for Half Term
- Monday 19th February 2024: Back to school for Spring Term 2
- Thursday 29th February 2024: Author Visit
- Thursday 7th March 2024: World Book Day
- Friday 22nd March 2024: Break up for Easter Holidays
- Monday 8th April 2024: Back to school for Summer Term
Please see our termly newsletter below (or click here) to see our curriculum for the Spring term.
Please click here for this term's Forest Schools timetable.
Homework will be handed out every week on a Friday and due back on the Friday of the following week.
In the first two weeks of term, all children will be given a colour banded reading book to take home and read. Children can also bring in their own books from home. Reading at home is encouraged at least three times a week but ideally every day. Please ensure that any reading is recorded in their Home School Planner which will be coming home with their reading book. Reading Plus will continue in Year 6 for Autumn and Spring term; please encourage your child to use the online program (logins will be in planners).
We are introducing a new scheme for teaching spelling in Year 6. The scheme looks at teaching spellings through phonics. The scheme introduces a clear and systematic view for teaching spellings that will provide our children with life-long strategies.
A UFO (Useful Four Operations) sheet will be sent home each week. Regular practice of the four operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) is crucial to developing fluency in Maths, and will support your child in all areas of Maths. Times Tables should also be practised regularly to ensure fast recall of facts up to 12 x 12; Times Table Rockstars is an excellent website to help improve speed and accuracy.
Year 6 staff
6P Oak class teacher: Miss Perkins
6Pa Chestnut class teacher: Mrs Packham (formally Miss Turner)
Teaching assistants: Mrs Robinson/Mrs Jackson, Mrs Shepherd and Mrs Whitfield/Mrs Battle
Mr Simms, Mrs Jackson and Mrs Brown (Forest Schools) will be teaching Year 6 on a Thursday afternoon.
- Please ensure that your child's uniform, coat, pack up and water bottle are clearly labelled.
- Children will be given a banded reading book as a home reader, unless they have indicated to us that they are currently reading another suitable book at home.
- Named water bottles should be in school daily and must be taken home daily for washing.
- PE will be on a Thursday. Children should arrive at school in their full PE kit on these days only. Please make sure they are wearing suitable PE kit for the weather. If your child needs to be excused from PE, please send a note with them to avoid confusion.
- Please note: we are a NUT FREE SCHOOL, so children cannot bring any nut products to school in their pack ups. We appreciate your co-operation with this.
- Snacks must be healthy and cannot be shared with other children.
Times Table Rockstars (website)
Times Table Rockstars (parent help letter)
- Tips and Ideas for learning the multiplication tables
- SPaG knowledge organiser
Please see this help sheet on keeping children safe online: Click here
Well-being Booklet: Click here