Welcome to Year 1
Another fantastic few weeks in Year 1!
Thank you to all the parents who came to our parent/ carer consultations. It was great to meet everyone and talk to you about your children and how hard they are working!
For the next two weeks we will be looking at the changing seasons and non-fiction texts about Autumn. The children have been really interested in this mini-topic and have enjoyed investigating the outdoors as part of this work. We are incredibly lucky to have Mr Wilkinson helping us with our Forest Schools work and the children are enjoying these sessions very much.
After half term we will be talking about Bonfire night and fireworks poetry before moving on to a new topic about 'Bears'.
Staffing in Year 1 :
Miss Morton and Mrs Willson are both on maternity leave.
Mrs Angood ( Monday, Tuesday &Wednesday ) and Mrs Burns ( Thursday &Friday) teach in Class 1A and Miss Dawson is teaching in Class 1D.
The teaching assistants working in the Year 1 classes are Mrs Smith, Mrs Hare, Mrs Roberts and Mrs Patrick. Mrs Brown and Mrs Collins will also be supporting children with their learning.
Mrs Cartright and Mr Simms will teach in Year 1 on a Wednesday morning and Mrs Cartwright will also teach in 1D on a Thursday afternoon.
Please pop in if you have any queries. The end of the day is generally best, as we can give you more time.
This half term, both class 1M and 1W will have PE on a Monday (Class Teacher) and on a Wednesday with our specialist sports coach, Mr Simms. They will be developing their skills in outdoor games so will need outdoor kit please.
We're planning to continue our Forest Schools work in the grounds, this will usually take place on alternate Fridays. Please make sure your child brings in waterproof clothing and wellingtons and these can be left in school.
Please make sure your child has a coat/waterproof in school every day. We still go out for playtimes, even if it is raining!
Free choice Readers (from your child's reading band) are changed once a week. Your child will also bring home a Guided Reading Book on the day that they read in class. Please keep the books and diary in the book bag, in case we want to do any extra reading at school. Please bring book bags in every day, and check for letters.
Please can your child bring in a named water bottle (full of water only) every day. The children are able to refill their water bottles with fresh, chilled water in school if they require extra water.
Children will have a piece of fruit each day, which is provided free of charge. No other snacks are required.
Hot dinners are free for all Key Stage 1 children. For the school dinner children, we remind them what the options are that day and they chose by putting their name in the appropriate marked tub e.g. main/ vegetarian option or jacket potato.
Year 1 Websites
- Teach Your Monster to Read This is a free website, but you do need to register with an email address.
- ICT Games Lots of fun games, that cover lots of curriculum areas.
- Phonics Play This is a subscription website, but you can access some of the games for free. Or you can sign up if you wish, it's not very expensive.
- Topmarks Great website containing tonnes of games to support all areas of Maths and English, including phonics and spelling.
- Oxford Owl This fantastic website contains a huge range of ebooks that can also be access via tablets, as well as a range of maths games to support your child. To access the ebooks your child can use the class login details below. Username: cop4, Password: cop4 or Username: cop3, Password: cop3
Miss Dawson, Mrs Angood and Mrs Burns.